About the people in LIBNA
Former PhD Students:
1. Rafael Gomez, PhD ECE, December 2003, “Biochips for Rapid Detection of Cell Metabolism”. Post-doc at Stanford with Prof. Steve Quake, Now at Quanticel Pharmaceuticals.
2. Haibo Li, PhD ECE, August 2004, “Dielectrophoresis and its Application in BioChips”, Now at Impinj, Seatle, Washington.
3. Sangwoo Lee, PhD ECE, December 2004, “Technology Development for Heterogeneous Integration of Silicon Elecronic Devices Using Directed Fluidic Self-Assembly”, Now Professor, Department of Bioengineering, Yonsai University, Korea.
4. Hung Chang, PhD ECE, December 2005, “Characterization Of DNA Translocation Through A Silicon Based Nanopores”.
5. Amit Gupta, PhD ECE, December 2005, “Micromechanical Resonant Sensors for Detection and Characterization of Biological Entities”. Post-doc at Harvard Medical School with Prof. Mehmet Toner, Now at SVTC, Sam Jose, CA.
6. Samir Iqbal, PhD ECE, May 2007, “An Electrical Framework for Characterization of DNA Molecules”. Post doc in our group in spring 2007, Now a Prof. at University of Texas at Arlington.
7. Yi-Shao Liu, PhD ECE, May 2008, “Impedance Spectroscopy Based Micro-Scale Biosensing”, Now at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporration (TSMC).
8. Oguz Elibol, PhD ECE, December 2008, “Silicon Field Effect Sensors for Sensing and BioChemical Reactions”, Now at Intel Corporation, Santa Clara, CA.
9. Kidong Park, PhD ECE, August 2009, “Micro-mechanical Sensors for Detection of Biological Entities”, Now at Samsung Corporation, Korea.
10. Murali Venkatesan, PhD ECE, Spring 2011, “DNA Nanopore Sensors for Biomolecular Characterization”. Now at Illumina. Inc. San Diego, CA.
11. Nicholas Watkins, PhD, Spring 2012, “An Electrical Microcytometer for Portable Blood Analysis in Global Health Applications”. Now at Nabsys, Inc. in Providence, RI.
12. Bobby Reddy, Jr. PhD ECE, Spring 2012, “Top Down Fabricated Silicon Nanowires for pH and Molecular Detection”. Now a Post doc in our group
13. Brian Dorvel, PhD Biophysics, Fall 2012, “Design and Optimization of Ultrathin Silicon Biological Field Effect Transistors (BioFETs) for Sensitive, Electronic-Based Detection of Biological Analytes” Senior Chemist at Dow Chemicals
14. Vincent Chan, PhD BIOE, December 2012, “3D Printing of Biological Machines for Biology and Medicine”. Post-Doc at MIT
15. Piyush Bajaj, PhD BIOE, Spring 2013, “Engineering the Micro-Environment to Control the Fate of Mammalian Cells. Postdoc at Los Alamos Natl Lab
16. Elise Corbin, PhD MECHSE (co-advised with Bill King), Fall 2013, “Detetion of Mass, Growth Rate and Stiffness of Single breast Cancer Cells using Micromechanical Sensors" Now Post doc in our group
17. Eric Salm, PhD BIOE, Spring 2014, “Transistor Based Biosensing: Expanding the Functionality of Field Effect Transistors" Now at Boston Consulting Group
18. Umer Hassan, PhD ECE, Spring 2015, “A microfluidic biosensor to electrically enumerate blood cells at point-of-care for infectious disease diagnosis and management" Post-Doctoral Researcher at UIUC
Former MS Students:
1. Nishant Nerurkar, MS ECE, Aug 2000. “Using the JSM6400 as a high resolution litography system”
2. Amit Gupta, MS ECE, Decemeber 2000. “Design and Microfabrication of Thin Single Crystal Cantilever Beams for Scanning Probe Applications". Now at SVTC, Sam Jose, CA.
3. Ninad Shinde,MS ME, December 2001. “Design and Fabrication of a Mesoscopic Pulse Tube Refrigerator System”, Co-Major Prof. G. Chiu
4. Zack Hilt, MS ChemE, Spring 2002. “A Microfabricated Biosensor Based on Cantilevers Patterned with Environmentally Sensitive Hydrogels”, Co-Major Prof. N. Peppas – Now a faculty member at University of Kentucky.
5. Dong Guo, MS ECE, December 2002, “A Novel Protein Patterning Technique Using DNA linkers"
6. Hassan Raza, MS ECE, December 2002, “Fabrication and Characterization of Ultra-thin Nitrided Gate Oxide MOS Capacitors” – Now a Prof. at University of Iowa.
7. Oguz Elibol, MS ECE, December 2003, “Fabrication and Characterization of Nano-wire Silicon Sensors”, Now at Intel Corp, Santa Clara, CA.
8. Angelica Davila MS ECE, Spring 2006, “Microcantilever Biosensors for Biological Detection of Bacillus anthracis Sterne spores in Air and Fluid”. Now at Intel Corp, Santa Clara, CA.
9. Kevin Lee, MS ME, Spring 2006, “The Development Of Highly Functional Cartridge For Rapid Detection of Microbial Contaminants”.
10. Vincent Chan, MS BME, Summer 2008, ”3D Fabrication of Tissue-Engineering Scaffolds Using Stereolithography.”
11. Piyush Bajaj, MS BME, Summer 2008, “Characterization of UNCD Surfaces for Biocompatible Implants", Now a PhD student at UIUC.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
12. Ho Jun Suk, MS EE, Fall 2009, “Fluidic Characterization of Elecric Field Sensitivity of Ti-GaAs Schottkey Junction Gated Field Effect Biosensors"
13. Sukru Yemeni, MS EE, Summer 2010, “Stability and Bandwidth Investigation of Alternative Structures for Nanopore Sensors"
14. Mitch Collens, MS BioE, Spring 2012. “2D and 3D Patterning of Cells."
15. Umer Hassan, MS ECE, Spring 2013. “CD4+ Cell Capture in Microfluidic Biochips for Global Health."
16. Jimmy Ni, MS ECE, Fall 2012. “Nano-grass array for capture of nanoparticles and viruses."
17. Carlos Duarte, MS ECE, Fall 2012. “On-Chip Parallel Detection of Food Borne Pathogens Using Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification"
18. Gregory Damhorst, MS BioE, Spring 2013.“Liposome and Ion Released Based Biological Detection in Microfluidic Biochips."
19. Jose Rivera, MS ECE, Spring 2013. “Graphene Supported Hafniium Oxide Nanopores for DNA Sensing"
20. Caroline Cvetkovic, MS BioE, Spring 2013. “The Development of Skeletal Muscle Bioactuator USign 3D Stereolithography"
21. Ritu Raman, MS MechSE, Fall 2013. “3-D Fabrication of Biological Machines"
22. Katrina Keller, MS BioE, Fall 2013.“Using Resonant MEMS Pedestal Sensors and Filtering Techniques to Determine the Growth Curve of MB-231 Metastatic Breast Cancer Cells"
23. Olaoluwa Adeniba, MS MechSE, Spring 2014.“Development of High-Q Micromechanical Cell Mass Sensor (Optimizing Parameters for In-plane Mass Sensors)"
Former Post-Doctoral Fellows/Research Scientists:
1. Helen McNally, PhD. EE, Arizona State University.
Jan 2001 – December 2002, Post-doc/Research Scientist in our group. Now a Professor, College of Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
2. Sangwoo Lee, PhD, ECE, Purdue University
Jan 2005 – May 2005, PhD and post doc in my group.
Now an Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering, Yonsai University, Korea.
3. Woo-Jin Chang, PhD. ChemE, Inha University, Korea.
Jan 2002 – Oct 2003, Post-doc in my group. Now a Professor at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
4. Liju Yang, PhD. Biol. and Agri. Engineering, University of Arkansas.
Sept 2004 - Feb 2006, Post-doc in our group. Now a Professor at North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC.
5. Demir Akin, DVM, PhD. Comparative Pathobiology, Purdue University.
Jan 2002 - 2005, Sr. Research Scientist in my group, biomedical expertise. Research Assistant Professor, Nanomedicine, in Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University. Fall 2006-Spring 2008. Now, the Deputy Director of Center for Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence at Stanford University Medical School.
6. Dallas Morisette, PhD. ECE, Purdue University.
Jan 2003 – Spring 2008, Sr. Research Scientist in my group (part time). Microelectronics and fab expertise. Sr. Device Engineer, BioVitesse, Inc. West Lafayette, IN.
7. Jaesung Jang, PhD, ME, Purdue University
Aug 2004 – Sept 2007, Post-doc in my group. MEMS and fab expertise. Now a Professor at Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
8. Kwanseop Lim, PhD, Chemistry, Inha University, Korea
Feb 2005 to Feb 2007, Post-doc in my group.
9. Samir Iqbal, PhD, ECE, Purdue University
March, 2007 – July 2007, Ph.D. and Post-doc in my group. Microelectronics and MEMS fab and DNA chemistry expertise. Now a Prof. at University of Texas at Arlington.
10. Shantanu Bhattacharya, PhD ME, University of Missouri, Columbia
Aug 2006 – June 2007, Post doc in my group, Now a Professor at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.
11. JeongMi Moon, PhD Chemistry, Purdue University
March 2007 June 2008, Post doc in my group. Now a post doc at Chemical Engineering, Purdue University.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign12. Yi-Shao Liu, PhD, Purdue University
Jan 2009 July 2010, Post doc in my group. Now at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporration, Taiwan.
13. Pinar Zorlutuna, PhD in Biotechnology from Middle East technical Univerity
Jan 2010 Jan 2011, Post doc in our group. Now Post doc at Harvard/MIT HST.
14. W-J Chang, PhD, Inha University, Research Scientist.
Jan 2008 to May 2011, Research Scientist in my group. Now Assistant Professor at University of Wisconson, Milwaukee.
15. Adarsh Radadia, PhD, MechSE, UIUC.
Post-Doc in m y group 1/09 present. Now an Assistant Professor in Chemical Engineering at University of Louisiana, Ruston, LO
16. Murali Venkatessan, PhD ECE, UIUC.
May 2011 Sept 2011, Post Doc in my group. Now at Illumina, Inc. San Diego, CA.
17. Preetha Jothimuthu, Ph.D. ECE, University of Cincinnati.
March 2011 Dec 2011, Post Doc in my group.
18. Vita Solovyeva, PhD.
May 2011 June 2012, Post Doc in my group.
19. Larry Millet, PhD Molecular and Cellular Biology, UIUC.
Now at Oakridge National Lab. Oak Ridge, TN
20. Kidong Park, PhD ECE, Purdue University.
Oct 2011 Aug 2013, Post Doc in my group. Now Assistant Professor, Division of ECE, Louisiana State University Baton Rouge
21. David Estrada, Phd, ECE, UIUC.
May 2013 Sept 2013, Post Doc in my group. Now Assistant Professor of ECE at Boise State University
22. Elise Corbin, Ph.D. MechSE, UIUC.
Post doc in my group Nov 2013 Aug 2014. Joined UIUC Bioengineering as a lecturer.
23. Hamasaki Koshin, Visiting Researcher from Toshiba, Japan
Group Member Jan 2013 - Jan 2014.
24. Artem Shkumatov, Phd in Veterinary Pathobiology UIUC.
Post doc in my group Sept 2014 May 2015. Now Principal Pathologist at Amgen.
25. Sangjo Shim, Phd, BME, UT Austin.
Post doc in my group Sept 2013 May 2015. Now postdoctoral researcher at University of Virginia
Former Undergraduate Students:
1. Jeff Uram, Fall 2000, EE496: Design of a Neuro-chip
2. Oguz Elibol, Spring 2001, EE496: Design and Set up of a Pressure Test System for MEMS
3. Vandna Handa, Fall 2002, EE496: DNA-based Self Assembly and Charge Determination on Silicon Devices Due to Charged Molecules
5. 2001-2002: Undergraduate Students Vandna Handa and Eric Tkaczyk spent a year in my lab with graduate students and worked on an inter-disciplinary project on DNA mediated self-assembly of electronic devices. The work resulted in a conference paper.
Eric Robert Tkaczyk, 2002-2003, DNA-based Self Assembly and Charge Determination on Silicon Devices Due to Charged Molecules
6. Robert Peterson, Summer 2003, Measurement on bottom gate MOS devices.
7. Azam Ghafoor, Summer 2003, Howard Hughes Fellow, AFM Measurements of Virus and Proteins.
8. Erik Tseregounis, Summer 2003, NASA SURI program, Micro-particle Capture of Listeria innocua and Escherichia coli: Towards Micromechanical Bacterial Sensing. Purdue.
9. Summer 2004, Luke Johnson, BM REU Student (Luther College). Use of Nanomechanical Devices for Virus Detection.
10. Summer 2004, Annie Elble, Engineering SURF Programm, BME Interdisciplinary Engineering Program. Microfluidic Devices for Bacterial Separation.
11. Spring 2004, Kyle Hagler, Sr. ECE Student, 496 and Summer Research, “Packaging of Microfluidic Devices”.
12. 5/09 – 5/10, James Polans, BS ECE Undergraduate Research Assistant, UIUC.
13. 8/09 – 5/10, Jacob Bermudez, BS Biology, Undergraduate Research Assistant, UIUC.
14. Summer 2010, Anna Czapar, Undergraduate in Bioengineering. UIUC
High School Students:
1. 2000-2001, Azam Ghafoor, a West Lafayette High School Junior Year student did his Biology project on biochips in our lab and won the first prize in Biology Science Fair.
2. 2001-2002, Lawrence Lee, a West Lafayette High School Senior Year student did his Biology project on biochips in our lab and won the first prize in Biology Science Fair.
3. 2002-2003, Prag Sharma, an 8th grader is did a Science Project and won the gold medal in the category of Microbiology, in the Purdue Regional Science Fair.
4. Summer 2011, Petra ISTEM high school internUni HighSchool in Urbana, IL
5. 8. Summer 2011, Chelsea Edwards, ISTEM high school intern. Uni HighSchool in Urbana, IL